Disney has released an 88-second teaser of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which isn't coming out for over a year (the release date is December 18th 2015). In comparison, the "equally" significant Avengers: Age of Ultron, only got its first trailer about 6 and a half months before the release date of May 1, 2015.
Obtaining this trailer was fairly aggravating for most fans. Amidst rumors that the teaser would be released Thanksgiving weekend, Disney gave us a list of the 30 theaters in America that would feature the teaser before every movie, this weekend. Though a bootlegged version was sure to hit YouTube, many die-hard fans made lengthy preparations to make it to the nearest theater on the list. I'm sure at least a few fans bought plane tickets.
And yet, a day or two later, Disney announced that the trailer would also be released online. So basically, the only reason to go to one of those 30 theaters is if you really wanted to see it with lots of other people. Otherwise, you could just cancel the movie tickets you had bought online, and watch it in your cozy home. Here's a break-down of the trailer:
- We open on the dunes of Tatooine. This is incredibly appropriate, considering that both Star Wars sagas have began on Tatooine. A dark and deep voice says "There has been an awakening, have you felt it?"
- A stormtrooper (played by John Boyega) suddenly stands up amongst the dunes, gasping for breath. He seems pretty surprised and gazes around at his surroundings, so he probably just woke up. You can also hear an Imperial Probe Droid in the background.
- An astromech droid (resembling R2-D2's head) beeps and rolls a ball around a Tatooine junkyard. In the background, you can see a spaceship, and what looks to be a podracer.
- A squadron of stormtroopers stand together, and ready their blasters in a shaking spaceship. The stormtroopers are wearing the newly designed helmets, first leaked several months ago. The hatch of the ship opens onto a smoky environment. You can spot a blinking antenna in the background.
- A young woman (played by Daisy Ridley) looks behind her, before flying away in some kind of landspeeder on a flat Tatooine desert. She wears goggles and a poncho, and she looks like she's in a rush to get away from someone...or something.
- A man (played by Oscar Isaac) wearing a helmet with the Rebel symbol, flips a switch in the cockpit of an X-wing starfighter.
- In a possibly unrelated scene, a trio of X-wing starfighters fly directly above a body of water. In the background, you can see several mountains, and also a fair bit of smoke. This is probably in the middle of a battle.
- A cloaked figure angrily strolls through a dark and snowy forest. He stops, and ignites a red lightsaber with a strange hilt. The same deep voice says "The dark side...and the light!"
- The classic Star Wars anthem begins, and we get a sweeping, twisty-turny shot of the Millenium Falcon being chased by some TIE fighters, again on the dunes of Tatooine.
- The official title logo for Star Wars: The Force Awakens appears, followed by the words December 2015.
This teaser was pretty brief, but gave us one big idea: there will be a lot of Tatooine. Hopefully, we'll see more of the movie soon, but don't expect a full-length trailer for at least a few months.
(Gif credits to E Online. Yes, this is very lazy of me to steal gifs from them instead of making them myself. Sorry.)