The fourth TV spot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens focuses on ex-stormtrooper Finn, while delivering a substantial amount of new footage, all of which I'll review in this post.
- Sparks fly in the burning Jakku village, and a stormtrooper turns in surprise. This is almost definitely Finn, confirming that he'll be present during the Jakku village burning seen several times throughout the trailers and teasers. This also suggests that these scenes take place in the beginning of the film, before he's escaped the Star Destroyer, crashed on Jakku, and met Rey. The First Order may be looking for Anakin and Luke Skywalker's blue lightsaber.
- "You don't know a thing about me. What I've seen... We all need to run," Finn says. Is he talking to Rey, or Han Solo? He's referring to witnessing the murder of innocent Jakku villagers, but it seems like he's aware of something greater going on. Will he deliver important information about Starkiller Base's superweapon to the Resistance?
- Another shot of the destruction of Maz Kanata's castle, with a shuttle landing next to it. We first saw something like this in the third TV spot, but now we know that Kylo Ren himself will be arriving in his personal landing craft. It's quite possible that the remains of this castle will be the flaming rubble seen later.
- Finn looks up from the entrance of some kind of storage room. There's no proof, but I believe this is Rey's home in a lopsided AT-AT. He seems pretty worried, as if he knows that TIE fighters will show up at any second.
- Kylo Ren stands among flaming rubble. By piecing together other snippets from trailers and TV spots, I believe Kylo will sense the presence of Rey (since she might just be his twin sister, and the daughter of Han and Leia), and he'll chase her into the jungle, resulting in the scenes of him deflecting her blaster shots.
- "Hope is not lost today. You must face them. Fight them!" Maz says. This is a slight continuation onto her voiceover from the Japanese trailer. We barely know what she looks like, but Kanata appears to be chock full of inspiration for our young heroes.
- Finn duels a stormtrooper wielding some kind of electric baton, among the same rubble. We saw a glimpse of this fight in TV spot #2, but now we get a better look at the stormtrooper's weapon. The StarWars.com database suggests that this is a Riot Control stormtrooper armed with a "specialized weapons". These guys might not be very good shots, but they've clearly been trained to defeat Jedi.
- "Sure you're up for this?" Han Solo asks Finn, with Chewie in the background. "Hell no," he responds. Their environment looks to be in the First Order's Starkiller Base. Who can blame Finn for being a little nervous; the climactic battle of the film will lead to him dueling Kylo Ren himself, on the snowy surface of the base.
- BB-8 beeps and tumbles around the Millennium Falcon. "Whoa!" Finn exclaims as the Falcon flies past TIE fighters. Being a stormtrooper, Finn must have some experience with guns, so when he and Rey flee TIEs on the Falcon, he'll take the gunner's position while she takes over steering.
The text in this spot reads "Discover the Force within", which might seem like an obvious hint at Finn's apparent role as a Jedi-in-training, but if my own theory is correct, Finn's not Force sensitive whatsoever, and Rey is the only one with the Jedi powers, since she's part of the Skywalker family.
What did you think of this TV spot? Tell me in the comments, and may the Force be with you all.