After previous TV spots for The Force Awakens that focused on new heroes Rey and Finn, TV spot #6 appropriately shows off the Dark Side, including some new dialogue from the mysterious Supreme Leader Snoke, and a deeper look at the functions of Starkiller Base. All new footage will be reviewed in this post.
- "There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?" says Supreme Leader Snoke. This is a nice throwback to the first teaser for the movie, featuring this same voiceover, released almost exactly one year ago.
- We get a slightly longer shot of Kylo Ren standing on the bridge of a Star Destroyer, as a red light extends into space. This looks to be Starkiller Base's star-killing laser. Note that some of the officers running around and looking at consoles are women. JJ Abrams previously stated that he had females in stormtrooper costumes, so it looks like he's doing the same to the First Order's officers.
- Stormtroopers run out of a landing craft, guns blazing. It seems like this will be one of the first scenes of the film, as the First Order, led by Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma, raid a village containing Resistance agents (including Poe Dameron). In that case, one of the stormtroopers here will be Finn.
- The First Order's army witnesses a huge red glow in the sky. We've seen previous shots of this villainous congregation, with General Hux addressing rows of stormtroopers on Starkiller Base, but now we know the purpose: it's a demonstration of the base's superweapon, which can destroy entire star systems. While Hux, the other officers (including Captain Phasma, whose shiny helmet is visible behind him), and the troopers watch from the planet. Kylo Ren will survey the laser from the Star Destroyer in orbit.
- "Yes," Kylo replies. Wow, he's waited an entire year to answer Snoke's question. That's no way to treat your master! As if we couldn't have figured it out already, Kylo similarly sensing this "awakening" confirms that has experience in the Force.
- Kylo purposefully strolls out of his personal shuttle with stormtroopers following. It looks like this shuttle has landed on Jakku, which means that this must also be during the beginning of the film. Kylo's entrance is quite dramatic, so this could easily be his first scene in the film.
- "Even you have never faced such a test," Snoke continues. We see the familiar shot of the Knights of Ren. Whoa. About time we heard something more from Andy Serkis' motion-captured Sith Lord. This suggests that Kylo's been through some serious tests before, and the accompanying visual of the Knights signifies that these tests were related to his initiation into the mysterious cult.
- "And it's time," Snoke concludes. Time for what? Time for the First Order to make their move? Time for our heads to literally explode from anticipation for this movie?
- "All teams, give it everything you've got!" Poe shouts from the cockpit of his X-Wing during a space battle. We've known since the first teaser that Poe is an X-Wing pilot (and a really good one, too), but both this and TV spot #5 suggest that he's the chief commander of the Resistance's squadrons. His order could easily be during their assault on Starkiller Base at the climax of the film.
- A missile hits an X-Wing. This is a pretty unimportant detail of the film, but it appears that the First Order is now using missile defense systems, instead of just laser turrets. A Disney Channel promo for the movie showed General Hux giving an order to shoot down Finn's TIE fighter with missiles.
- Han Solo shoots a stormtrooper, who's knocked back by the shot. We saw something similar to this in TV spot #2, but now we can see that Han is firing at a stormtrooper with an electric staff. Either this is the same one who we've seen dueling Finn -- and this is the end of that battle -- or multiple Riot Control stormtroopers are present.
- An X-Wing flies away from an explosion on a metallic surface. Could this be the destruction of Starkiller Base?
- Finn screams in absolute rage and/or sorrow. What's got him so upset? This is the same rubble-y environment as #9 above, most likely on Takodana, in/around the remains of Maz Kanata's castle. It seems like Rey will be captured by Kylo Ren in the jungle around here, but even if she was Finn's love interest (which seems unlikely), his scream would be overly dramatic. The only logical explanation is that the First Order has just blown up Finn's unknown home planet, and he's giving a classic Star Wars "NOOOOOOOO!".
What did you think of this TV spot? Tell me in the comments, and may the Force be with you all.