Though most of the world is currently getting ready for Star Wars: The Force Awakens' theatrical release next week, China will have to wait until January 9th. The upside of that? Instead of the quick TV spots and featurettes that have circulated the Internet within the past week, China's got a whole new trailer, featuring several bits of new footage and dialogue. Much of this has been seen in previous trailers and TV spots, so I'll be reviewing only the new footage.
- "I'll show them the power of the darkness," Kylo Ren says. He's said lots of stuff like this before, but with this line, we can really hear the emotion in his voice.
- "Where do you come from?" Rey asks BB-8. He beeps. "Classified, really? Me too," she replies. No, Rey's not also on a secret mission; she simply doesn't know where she came from. Will she find out in the movie? There's a pretty good chance.
- "C'mon baby, don't let me down!" Han Solo yells inside the Millennium Falcon cockpit. Chewbacca growls, and behind them, Rey and Finn exchange terrified looks. The accompanying footage of the Falcon evading TIE fighters on Jakku would have you believe that Han and Chewie are present during that dogfight, but they aren't. This must be later in the film.
- The Falcon and a squadron of X-Wings fly towards a ringed planet. This is believed to be D'Qar, the base of the Resistance, where the Falcon and the X-Wings return to after a big battle on Takodana.
- We see an explosion in the hangar of a Star Destroyer. This is probably when Finn and Poe escape on a TIE fighter.
- Stormtroopers exchange fire as they run into a Jakku village. We know that this is one of the first scenes of the film, as the First Order tracks the Resistance to this village and promptly intervenes.
- "We will crush the Resistance, once and for all!" Supreme Leader Snoke says. Another rare piece of dialogue from Kylo Ren's master, and one of the film's most mysterious characters (arguably second to Luke). This is the first time that the Resistance has been named in any of the trailers.
- Poe Dameron is escorted by a stormtrooper through the hallway of a Star Destroyer. We saw a glimpse of this in the behind-the-scenes reel from Comic-Con. This is either before or after his torture at the hands of Kylo Ren, and the trooper might be Finn. If Poe's jacket looks familiar, that's because Finn wears it for the rest of the movie.
- A First Order landing craft glides into the Star Destroyer's hangar. Kylo Ren's shuttle (seen in the very first shot of this trailer) is reminiscent of the classic Imperial Lambda-class model, but the troop carriers now resemble submarines.
- The Falcon flies over a jungle terrain. This planet is Takodana, and Han, Chewie, Rey, and Finn are heading to Maz Kanata's pirate castle.
- The Falcon bursts out of a snowy forest, and then crash-lands in an open area. Based on a post by Making Star Wars several months ago, it appears that Han Solo flies into Starkiller Base's atmosphere at very fast speeds and crashes his iconic ship to avoid the base's defenses. #3 above could take place during this scene.
- We see a short extension onto the familiar shot of Kylo Ren and Finn preparing to duel, as their blades actually meet. JJ Abrams recently said that instead of the elegant duels of the Prequels, The Force Awakens' lightsaber duels are more like "street fighting".
- "We got a lot of company!" Poe Dameron shouts from the cockpit of his X-Wing, as several fighters dive over a metallic surface. This is our first detailed look at the artificial portion of Starkiller Base.
What did you think of this trailer? Tell me in the comments, and may the Force be with you.